Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kevin Murphy Night.Rider Matte Texture Paste: A Review ~ By Arj


Night.Rider is a Matte texture paste from Kevin Murphy. Kevin Murphy is an Australian-born celebrity hairdresser, and all the products in his range claim to be sulphate and paraben free. I am allergic to sulphates, and that was how I started using products from the label. So far, all the products I have used from this label have been pretty good.

Night.Rider, however, is more than just 'pretty good;' it's outstanding. It ticks all the boxes: it gives me the matte finish I like without making my hair look or feel like straw; it leaves no residue and leaves hair natural and healthy-looking; and it has a firm hold that lasts all day.

For reference, I have short to medium guy hair. I have been trying to achieve a 50s-inspired hairstyle that is very short at the sides and loosely slicked back (with a matte finish) at the top, and I find this product perfect for this. I shampoo with Living Proof Frizz Shampoo and condition with Aurora Spa Rituals Conditioner and use this product straight after blow-drying. I had a messy haircut before this, and Night.Rider worked well for that, as well.

The formula of Night.Rider seems to be a lot more advanced than Tigi's Bed Head Manipulator, American Crew's Fiber or even Sebastian's Molding Mud. The texture of Night.Rider is not as sticky or gluey as Manipulator, and it's not dry and crumbly like Fiber. Sebastian's Molding Mud was an old favourite of mine, but I find Night.Rider to have much better holding power.

Like most Kevin Murphy's products, Night.Rider has a strong scent. It smells citrus-y to me, and while it doesn't really bother me, I don't really care for it. I love the packaging. It comes in a strong black plastic box that reminds me of a small lunch box. The clip prevents leakage, and that makes it great for traveling.

I picked up Night.Rider from my local salon here in Melbourne for $35.95.

Ingredients: Water, Lanoline Wax. Beeswax, Pvp, Lanolin alcohol, D-limonene, Propylene glycol, Behenyl Tridecyl Trimellitate, Sodium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Trideceth-10, Triethanolamine, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Yello 5, Caramel Color, Limonene.


No comments:

Post a Comment